Personal Retreat Rental
Greeting Cards & Photography
About the Artist
How to Order
Katja Esser leads an ongoing stream of rituals, workshops, and other events.
A current list of events is available on
Katja is an inspirational artist, mask and costume designer, ritualist, teacher, photographer, healer, and performer. She has exhibited her work in the Netherlands, New York, and Boston. Katja has studied different forms of movement and voice. She has created sacred ceremonies for the seasons since 1992 for small and large groups of people of which the Summer Solstice at America’s Stonehenge is most well known.
She is deeply involved in African based spirituality with Malidoma Somé and the East Coast Village, which has brought her to Africa a few times. She draws from a variety of great teachers such as Martin Prechtel, Rikka Zimmerman, and Emilie Conrad. Katja facilitates rituals and gives talks at colleges and universities. She has taught Continuum based movement, courses in ritual, facilitates Grief Rituals, and Sacred Sound Circles. Katja has sung with Bonesong, an improvisational sacred singing quartet that sings in a cave. She performs with the Theater Behind The Mask in schools through Young Audiences and at First Night Boston. She created a performance around ‘The Hidden Life of Trees’ with Ricardo Frota in which she appears in a full tree costume that took her a year and half to make.
Katja launched her Apprenticeship program, ‘Courting the Living World’, in 2010. In this program, participants activate their intimate connection to self and planet. Katja has an extensive website www.ritualexpressions.com at which her work can be viewed.
What people said about Katja’s work:
"Beautiful, sweet woman, with a voice that enchants the wind, the earth, all gods creatures. You are so loved. Thank you for all you brought to us this past weekend.” - Joy
“You are extremely gifted and I feel so lucky to be learning and receiving from you!” - Alison
“…wonderful to see you in your element; confident, relaxed and effective... just awesome. I'm honored and grateful to have been able to share this experience, and my heart is humbly thanking you over and over...” - William
“Thank you for your powerful voice, drumming, ritual, space, magic, beauty...............this weekend! Was truly an honor to receive your gifts…” - Maria
EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS - 2013
April Grief Ritual to be announced
June 21 Ritual – Summer Solstice,
September 21 Ritual – Autumnal Equinox, Earthlands
September 22 Ritual – Autumnal Equinox, America’s
December 21 Ritual – Winter Solstice,
December 22 Ritual – Winter Solstice, Earthlands
Dates Feb 24,
March 17, April 21, and May 12 all Sunday afternoon from 2 - 5
with your instruments, sound makers, and voice in the spirit of joy and
co-creation to bathe the living world around us in beauty. We praise the Earth with her
changing face, begin to awaken her to the new dawn, and in the process
massage every cell of our body in the soundscapes we
Hosted by Katja Esser
Come with your instruments, sound makers, and voice in the spirit of joy and co-creation to bathe the living world around us in beauty. We praise the Earth with her changing face, begin to awaken her to the new dawn, and in the process massage every cell of our body in the soundscapes we create.
Hosted by Katja Esser
$5 donation requested
Directions and info on Earthlands posted below.
Illuminating the Awakening Soul
Friday March 22,
March 23, 2013
To honor the appropriate feeding of the spirit world and to optimize what you get out of this ritual there is some preparation involved that you are asked to do at home. If you do not have time to read it all please go to ‘What to bring’ below.
Looking at her thick white robe with its drifts and bulges, obliterating any definition, I saw that the sky’s yawn had exploded in the Mother’s lap and settled briefly into a sense of restful expansion. In one moment the icy breath pounds on her hardened skin, the next moment the air relaxes and misty clouds dance upon her receding mantle. Sudden changes stir the Mother in her restless sleep. Her dreamtime becomes short lived, as her skin hardens and softens, seeming to be in an ongoing labor. The first bulbs showing their tips are halted in their eager advancement. Winter has a hard time to establish its firm grip. The exalted cries of Spring echo softly, tantalizing Winter’s meditative silence, letting him clearly know that Spring is pounding on his door.
we have been in an ongoing labor and are eager to get out of the womb of
illusion to move into the expression of who we truly are. It is hard to stay asleep in world
that no longer works for us and the expanding energies are stirring us
awake. According to the
Dagara People of
Preparation is a big piece of the ritual. To receive the full benefit of the ritual as well as seeing the effects of each one bringing their piece to feed the whole it is important that you bring the items described below to the best of your abilities. Katja Esser facilitates this community oriented ritual and you can expect it to be very participatory
What to bring:
- A piece of green cotton fabric (please no synthetics) about 1 square yard that symbolizes your old skin, the vibrational seed pod or box you have adopted to live in. It is the skin of the illusions of this reality. It holds all the - I am not worthy, I am not good enough, I am not lovable. You can decorate it, write on it, anything that pertains to your definition of self in a reality of illusion. Thank it since it has given you the exact information to now be able to make the change to birth into ‘who you truly are’. You will not get this piece back.
- An umbilical cord made with different colored strips of cotton fabric of about 1 yard long each in length and about 1 ½ inch wide. This umbilical holds all the lies, conclusions, judgments, and evidence for your point of view you have been feeding yourself with to keep you in your vibrational pod. Looking at ‘I am not worthy’, how does this show up in money (green cotton), relationships and sexuality (red cotton), health (blue cotton), life work, self-expression and creativity (yellow cotton), spirituality (white cotton)? Tie a knot for each lie, conclusion, judgment or evidence you can come up with for your point of view about money. Do the same with all the other strips of fabric. Once they are all knotted tie them together in one long cord that is your umbilical.
- A small wreath made of life evergreen branches of which the inside diameter is 10 inches. Use cotton string to hold it together and with weaving it around you see the life you like to have already into existence. The opening becomes the symbolic portal through which you birth your vision each time you push your string through it.
- Bring 4 seeds, 1 natural feather and some tobacco
- Bring Spring flowers that are open, a flash light, drums or other sound makers if you have them, some finger food for after the ritual, raingear if needed and your own water to drink. Make sure you dress warm.
Donation: At Earthlands ritual $9 - $13
At America’s Stonehenge the entry fee paid to the visitor center is $11 and an additional donation of $5 at the ritual site is appreciated.
to Earthlands - From Rt 2
take exit 17, take 32 South to Petersham. At center of town, at country
store, take a left on